Thursday, June 12, 2014

Reflective Journal Entry Three- Information Processing and Cognitive Theories

I have often thought about the learning experiences I have had over the years and tried to remember what made some memorable while others are vague or lost altogether. This week’s reading assignment and discussion posts provided valuable insight on how the brain processes information and the strategies we can use to ensure the information is made memorable for students. I believe effective teachers use these strategies to make learning meaningful and memorable, not just for a few days, but long-term.
My recollections of memorable learning experiences include lessons that grabbed my attention and allowed time to practice the skill or concept being learned. This makes sense after viewing the information-processing theory. Slavin (2012) Figure 6.1 identifies the sequence of information processing (Atkinson-Shiffrin Model), which states that memorable information must reach a person’s senses, go through initial processing, transfer from the sensory register to the working memory, and finally be processed again for transfer to the long-term memory. The first step in the model is very important because it means that a teacher must gain the attention of students before learning can begin taking place. Slavin (2012) states, “Like money, attention is a limited resource” (p.146). I believe teachers must remember that students have a limited attention span and we should focus students’ attention in interesting ways. Teachers can do this by using cues, increasing the emotional content of information, implementing elements of surprise and by stating the importance of information (Slavin, 2012). I clearly remember a second grade science lesson I experienced because of the attention gaining technique of our guest speaker. He was a gemologist and showed us several beautiful gems to gain our attention. I still remember information I learned about gems that day and vivid images because of my peeked interest associated with the beauty of the gems.
With our ultimate goal being the retention of information in the long-term memory, I believe it is important to provide students with opportunities to practice a skill or concept as well. This goes along with the levels-of-processing theory, which states that people retain only the information that has been thoroughly processed (Slavin, 2012). This is where the knowledge and tools we possess as educators is necessary in planning. We have to create meaningful opportunities that promote higher levels of processing. Many of the discussions from this week on the importance of a variation of learning strategies in the classroom included the need for this variation in grade levels ranging from kindergarten to high school. Several posts discussed the importance of partner and small group work, guided questioning to focus attention, and a variety of verbal and visual strategies that aid in a deep understanding and processing in students’ learning.
I paid special attention to the section on study strategies that help students learn because I am always trying to provide students with tools that will help them be successful in the future. I have had students in the past make comments like, “I don’t understand why I didn’t do well. I looked over the paper ten times.” Slavin (2012) states that, “effective methods involve learners in reshaping the information” (p.169). In the future I will provide more practice tests and opportunities for summarizing information and for written response. I also plan to share the PQ4R method with my students, especially those who struggle with the use of effective strategies for learning information.
Understanding how the brain processes information, how we remember and forget, and how we can make information meaningful for students is imperative for effective teachers. Effective students understand the need for study strategies and develop metacognitive skills. I believe it is a balance of teacher and student recognition and application of these understandings that make learning possible.
Reference
Slavin, R. E. (2012). Educational Psychology: Theory and practice (10th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment