Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Reflective Journal Entry Five- Student-Centered Instruction

            I began my last reflective journal entry by stating that I always feel guilty when my lessons involve me delivering information more than students developing concepts and ideas on their own, so this week’s reading assignment was very refreshing and inspirational! Even though research supports the effectiveness of direct instruction, I cannot ignore the boring effects associated with this type of instruction. I believe effective teachers combine direct and student-centered instruction to create a balanced approach to teaching.
            The constructivist theory states that learners must discover and transform complex information in order to make it their own and develop a higher level of understanding (Slavin, 2012). Teachers must provide students with learning opportunities that require discovery and the active participation of students. Teachers must also take on a different role in student-centered instruction as a guide to assist when necessary, but not in the main delivery of content. This requires teachers to give up a certain amount of control, which can be difficult, especially with the large amount of content we are required to teach at this time.
            Constructivist approaches to teaching incorporate cooperative learning, so that students will discover and comprehend concepts that might be difficult for them (Slavin, 2012). I really enjoyed reading peer posts this week about how this can seem like a chaotic learning environment, but that structure can still exist even when the teacher is not solely in charge of the lesson. One method I plan to use in the future, that I believe will be beneficial to my students, is the reciprocal teaching approach in reading. Slavin (2012) states that research on this approach has found that it generally increases the success of low achievers. I teach fifth grade reading, and one of the classes I work with is a small, EIP group. I believe this strategy will be an effective strategy to use with them and will help them to build their comprehension, which is the area of reading this group struggles with the most.
            I also plan on incorporating the Cooperative Integrated Reading and Composition (CIRC) program next year. I work very closely with the language arts teacher in planning lessons, and a majority of students’ writing assignments stem from their reading. I believe working together in small groups in reading and language arts will provide additional support for students, especially those who struggle with writing and responding to literature. Students will be able to remind one another of discussions from the reading and apply what they have learned to their writing.  It has been my experience that when students work in groups, they are engaged in discussion and are actively seeking understanding, but this chapter provided additional practices that aid in the effectiveness of cooperative learning, which include creating and rewarding group goals and requiring individual accountability. I plan to create a way of rewarding group work and individual goals within the Cooperative Integrated Reading and Composition program by brainstorming ideas with the language arts teacher.
            Several of the peer posts I read this week stated that teachers are seeing a lack of respect among students when working cooperatively, but I believe we owe it to our students to learn how to work with others and to problem-solve socially and academically. We know students will be joining the workforce one day and it is imperative that they are able to work collaboratively. As educators we can provide students with these effective learning strategies in a way that we can feel good about by implementing constructivist approaches in instruction.

Reference
Slavin, R. E. (2012). Educational Psychology: Theory and practice (10th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment