Saturday, June 7, 2014

Reflective Journal Entry Two- Behavioral and Social Learning Theories

            I believe the best teachers are those who have a true understanding of children and how they learn. They are the educators who know how to motivate students and make them responsible for their learning. While they may have forgotten the terminology associated with behavioral theories and principles, they apply the knowledge associated with them in their classrooms.
            This week’s reading was a great review of the processes involved in learning and the role behavioral learning theories play in learning. Slavin (2012) states, “These principles are useful for explaining much of human behavior; they are even more useful in changing behavior in the classroom” (p.137). The works of Ivan Pavlov contributed the idea of classical conditioning and B. F. Skinner’s further research contributed the idea of operant conditioning. Slavin (2012) states that the most important principle of behavioral learning theories is how behavior changes due to consequences, with pleasant consequences strengthening behaviors and unpleasant consequences decreasing the behaviors. I believe we develop an understanding of this concept early on as children as we receive consequences through exploration and consequences from parents and teachers. Successful teachers apply the principle by reinforcing desired behaviors through praise and rewards. I have had great success with positive reinforcement in the classroom and find that the more I praise and reward good behavior, the less undesirable behavior I encounter. I believe this is because students want to do well and enjoy receiving praise. My ultimate goal is to get students intrinsically motivated, and I try to use healthy extrinsic reinforcers by using phrases like, “I like the way David is sharing his strategy with his partner.” I try to avoid using candy, unhealthy foods, and toys as rewards. I really enjoyed reading about other examples from Slavin (2012), which include calling home and privileges such as free time, special equipment, and special roles. I believe unexpected forms of praise and rewards are greatly appreciated and memorable for children. 
               After reading Chapter 5, I plan to implement the calling home idea and creating a place to publicly display student work next year as new ways of praising and rewarding my students. I was also reminded of some effective methods for improving behavior through discussion posts this week, which included a suggestion from Wanda Richerzhagen of using behavior charts to modify disruptive behaviors. Jonelle Jimison discussed the benefits of behavior contracts, which help hold students accountable and responsible for their behaviors. I will keep these in mind for future use as well, and believe these additions to our class discussions are excellent examples of why teacher communication  and sharing is so important in helping our students achieve.
            The social learning theory described in Chapter 5 goes along with behavioral learning theories. Slavin (2012) states that Social Learning Theory, developed by Albert Bandura, focuses on the importance of learning through observation and self-regulated learning in four phases. I believe effective teachers understand this progression of learning and apply the phases in lessons and learning activities. In my lesson plans I introduce the lesson and try to attract the attention of the students, which goes along with the first step of this theory, paying attention. I also model the behavior and give students an opportunity to model the behavior in their work, which my plans refer to as guided practice. I typically model with mini-lessons, which are kept short to ensure student attention, and provide a guided practice opportunity that usually involves peer support or small group support. Once students are ready for independent practice, I typically provide a rubric, which allows students to ensure they are meeting all expectations and help them become responsible for their own learning outcomes and achievement. This goes along with Meichenbaum’s model of cognitive behavior modification. As a fifth grade teacher I believe preparing students as self-regulating learners is imperative, because of the responsibility level expected of them in middle school.
            The information in this week’s reading was not new to me, but was certainly a great refresher on learning and behavior and how the two go hand-in-hand. The added input and reflection of peer discussion provided further insight and I look forward to applying new methods from peer feedback and from the text in the near future.
References
Slavin, R. E. (2012). Educational Psychology: Theory and practice (10th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment